‘What's up Celebrities’ updates readers on latest development in celebrities’ professional and personal life. Breaking the biggest stories in celebrity and entertainment news. Get exclusive access to the latest hollywood, bollywood and bhojpuri stories, photos, and video.

Halle Berry made history in 2002 when she won the Best Actress Academy Award for her role in Monster's Ball, becoming the first woman o...

Halle Berry Says Oscars' Lack of Diversity Since Her 2002 Win Is 'Heartbreaking': 'I Thought That Moment Was Bigger Than Me'

Halle Berry made history in 2002 when she won the Best Actress Academy Award for her role in Monster's Ball, becoming the first woman of color ever to take home the award.

"This moment is so much bigger than me," Berry said in her emotional acceptance speech. "This moment is for Dorothy Dandridge, Lena Horne, Diahann Carroll. It's for the women that stand beside me, Jada Pinkett, Angela Bassett, Vivica Fox. And it's for every nameless, faceless woman of color that now has a chance because this door tonight has been opened."


"Honestly, that win almost 15 years ago was iconic, it was important to me, but I had the knowing in the moment that it was bigger than me," Berry reflected. "I believed that in that moment, when I said 'The door tonight has been opened,' I believed that with every bone in my body that this was going to incite change because this door, this barrier, had been broken. And to sit here almost 15 years later, and knowing that another woman of color has not walked through that door, is heartbreaking."

Getty Images for AOL
The 49-year-old actress said she is disheartened by the thought that her win didn't open up more opportunities for women of color. In fact, since Berry's win, the Academy has only nominated seven women of color for Best Actress.

"It's heartbreaking, because I thought that moment was bigger than me," she added. "It's heartbreaking to start to think maybe it wasn't bigger than me. Maybe it wasn't. And I so desperately felt like it was."

0 coment�rios: